Sunday, September 18, 2016

CYCI#138 Shaker Challenge - Warm Winter Wishes

The crafters on the Can You Case It Team have a wonderful challenge for us this week featuring one of my very favorite kinds of card to make: Shakers!

I was intimidated by shaker cards for a very long time, then I finally buckled down and made one and now they are one of my very favorite types of cards to make!

They look complex and time consuming, but once you have a few under your belt, you'll find they are one of the quickest to put together and give you a lot of bang for your buck. People will think you spent hours on a single card, when they really take no more than just a few minutes.

There are tons of great tutorials online, so I encourage you to hop on YouTube and check them out!

Here is my design for this week's challenge

The image is from Unity Stamps. I stamped it onto white paper and colored it using colored pencils.

It's not visible in the photo, but I colored the little snowpeople and the snow they're standing on in
white Wink of Stella for some extra shine.

I then used ordinary silver sequins for my filler. I had some left over snow flake brads from last Christmas so I popped a sentiment onto the front with some silver edged ribbon, inked the edges and adhered it with a pop dot.

I always try and be cautious with the height of my card front when making shakers because you already gain some depth with the adhesive used to create the shaker window and you want to make sure they'll still fit in an envelope for giving.


For the inside of my card, I printed a simple sentiment on my home printer, inked the edges and adhered it to a white A2 sized card.

If you're still nervous to try a shaker, check out the awesome offerings by Queen & Co and Jillibean Soup who make pre-cut adhesive foam shapes and fun shaker element that take some of the guess work out!

These cards are available in my Etsy shop.

12 comments:

  1. I just love your sweet shaker! So adorable! Thanks for joining us at Can You Case It? --Elizabeth Jeanne (Happy Stamper)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute card, Aimee! I love the Unity snowball 'people'. Great job coloring them - adorable! Thanks for joining us this week at CYCI! ~ Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal! I love the challenges you guys put out!

      Delete
  3. Hi Aimee, Love your shaker card. Great Job coloring!! Thanks for playing with us at CYCI? this week. Char

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's my goal to participate in more of them!

      Delete
  4. Hi Aimee. So cute. Great job on coloring. Thanks for joining us at CYCI--Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet shaker. I love the snow people you added to the middle of the card. Thanks for joining the challenge at Can You Case It? -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is so sweet! Love the settled colors and the inside :)
    Thanks for joining us at this week's CYCI challenge - Josefine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Josefine! Color selection is always a challenge for me. I'm finding less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. betway365 ยินดีต้อนรับเข้าสู่เว็บไซต์ คาสิโนออนไลน์ เราคือเว็บที่มี คาสิโนออนไลน์ ที่ครบครันที่สุด บาคาร่า บาคาร่าออนไลน์ และกราฟิกสวยที่สุด

    ReplyDelete